On the coming sunday the muhlenverein invites to 18. Mill festival at the pond muhle near steinwiesen a. After the evangelical service, which will be performed by the heinersberg trombone choir, the new plank float will be "preserved" become. As the flober once said, one wants to "cycle" with it afterwards. Because with these board floats, according to flob order as "stummel" (about 1000 boards) has been floated from the numerous small frankenwald muhlen to schwurbitz on the main river over the past 500 years.
From there it went on as "hallstadter stummelstuck" with two round wooden bottoms as head and behind it three stumps (about 3000 boards) to hallstadt or bischberg and further as "wurzburger stummelstuck with three round wooden floors at the top and 15 stumps (about 15000 boards) all the way to wurzburg. Thus also the small forest owners of the franconian forest could profit from the wood trade and a warm blessing from the lands at the main came into the poor area.
Before the festival the sagerteam with hans gotz, alexander schlee and siegfried winkler is still doing "bischofliche" boards as once of three centimeters thick, 20 centimeters wide and a long of three meters from the old muhlholz available to cut. The customs accounts of neuses already report of plank rafts in 1496 on the rodach to the main and further to mainz.
The muhlenfreunde have a small board flob under construction, a "double-flob that is, half as coarse as a "stump". One hopes with the dry period now naturally for sufficient water. Furthermore, a theater performance of the "steinwiesener waschweiber" is planned.
60 percent of the many small cutting mills in the frankenwald were organized as cooperatives. The individual shares of the owners, often up to 18 and more per muhle, were called "riegen" south of kronach, north of it but as "cutting days". Those who took their share and helped to board up their delivered roundwood or cut lumber on the muhle said that they were "on the tip" today. Because the "muhlvogt", elected by the shareholders, was the "muhlvogt", who acted as administrator of the muhle, had designated him for that day by go to cut his wood. This was also recorded on the notice board (zahngbrett).
With "flobzeichen marks
Since time immemorial, every forest farmer has had an abbreviated name, which was also recorded in a directory in the community and available for all to see. One called these shortel "flobzeichen". The owners of the mills carved their mark with a special knife into their round timber on the storage place of the mills, so that it could not be stolen.
Wood grabbing was already a big problem in the middle ages and was always punished severely. The name abbreviation was used to mark both stock wood such as lumber, but also the company’s own hand tools (axe, flob hook) on the handle.
The bishop’s mab
The roundwood was usually delivered by water at a blocher drift. Hundreds of origin were often brought to the storage place. To do this, you had to apply in advance to the forestry office for a suitable date. While the flobers primarily used straight-grown long logs over twelve meters long or holland logs over 20 meters long for flooring, the small sawmills mostly needed short, unshaped round logs from three to a maximum of six meters long to cut boards from. These boards were fixed in bishop’s time to a preferred size. Namlich: three centimeters thick, 19.5 centimeters wide and three meters long (bishop’s mab).
Since the mills already in the middle ages processed almost as much roundwood as the floats brought away and the bad roads in germany did not allow a favorable transport on the axle, only the waterway offered itself for the resale of the precious boards. But on the narrow rivers in the frankenwald and the small roundwood floats, only two meters wide, with the low weir crossings, only a few boards could be transported as a superimposed load. Therefore, as early as the middle ages, as evidenced by old customs invoices from kronach, people started to build pure board floats, which had only eaves slow three slender round timber each as stiffening and impact protection.
240 "bishop" boards were the schneidergebnis of a whole day in a saga around kronach with "unterschlachtigem waterwheel. Around the year 1500, at the time of the discovery of america, there were already 17 cutting mills in a radius of ten kilometers around kronach alone, which were used to board the short round timber.